Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Santa Ynez Vintners Festival

As you may know from me yammering on and on about it, this is one of my favorite things to do; I love the Santa Ynez Valley and am of course particularly partial to the wines of Sta Rita Hills. 

The Santa Barbara County Vintners Festival weekend is April 15-17th. I am taking the day off work Friday, will probably head up either Thursday evening or very early Friday morning, and will return Sunday evening or possibly Monday morning very early. (Traffic coming back on Sunday can be brutal!)

The unique thing about this festival is that the SBCVA *requires* its members to pour at the event, so even the cult wineries and smallest of the small are represented. Plus almost every winery in the valley has some special event going on, especially ones that are usually not open to the public... 

Here's the information on the Festival itself: http://www.sbcountywines.com/events/festival.html
It's Saturday from 1-4pm in a lovely creekside park in Lompoc. 

One of my other favorite things is the Au Bon Climat/Tantara adjacent competing BBQs on Sunday in the Santa Maria AVA, half hour north of Buellton, which is a good reason to plan to stay over on Sunday if at all possible. Otherwise hit one or the other, or Los Olivos, and head home from there. More information as it is released... 

I would *highly* recommend booking a hotel room NOW. There are still rooms available now, but they won't last much longer. I usually don't bother to go fancy on the lodging (would rather spend the coin on wine), but there is a relatively limited selection of accommodations, and they fill up fast, especially in Solvang, which is the most central. I've booked the moderate Kronborg Inn for 3 nights for myself to make sure I have something, but can cancel. http://www.kronborginn.com/ 

Hadsten House is just next door, and the Holiday Inn Express Solvang (a bit nicer than your normal HIE, and also Danish-themed) is next to that. I would recommend any of the mid-range places in Solvang for centrality, even though the Danish kitsch can be a bit much. 

Other areas to look at: Los Olivos (especially the lovely but pricey Fess Parker Inn); Buellton (Marriott's nice, though not fabulous; Days Inn & Quality for budgets); and of course Santa Barbara, though of course I wouldn't recommend the drive after drinking... better to stay in the Valley if at all possible. 

I'll continue to post more information as it becomes available. Wineries are still finalizing their event details... 

No comments:

Post a Comment